"Got 5" Crisis Counseling
The GOT 5 Challenge provides free, anonymous support 24/7. Students and families are able to text with a trained Crisis Counselor anytime they need someone to talk to. It is sponsored by the Suicide Prevention Center of NYS through the NYS Office of Mental Health.
How It Works:
- Students and families who may feel alone or overwhelmed and could use someone to text and discuss what’s weighing on them down can text “Got5” to 741741 to get connected with one of the Crisis Text Line’s Crisis Counselors who are ready to listen and support them.
- They will receive two automated responses that tell them they are being connected with a Crisis Counselor, who is a trained volunteer. It only takes a few minutes to connect with a Crisis Counselor (usually less than five minutes but it may occasionally take longer during high-traffic times.)
- The Crisis Counselors will introduce themselves, respond to what has been texted to them, and invite the person to provide more details at their own pace.
- The Crisis Counselor then begins a texting conversation to support the student or family member. They never have to share anything they don’t want to. The goal of the conversation is to get them to a calm, safe place. Sometimes that means the Crisis Counselor will provide the person with resources to seek further help, and sometimes it means just being there and listening. A conversation can last as long as the person feels comfortable.
- If you have any questions, please contact your school counselor.
Crisis Text Line - It's For Everyone